Here are 5 tips from Fitness & Activities Manager, Donavan Almond on how to beat that winter weight gain.
1. Eat soup. Soups provide a lower calorie version of that warm comfort food we enjoy in these cold winter months. Whip up a bowl of warm chili or homemade chicken noodle soup that is sure to warm but your tummy and soul.
2. Get active by volunteering in your community. Volunteering at a local food bank or homeless shelter gets your body in motion while helping those in your community that need it.
3. Start the morning with a high protein breakfast such as a 3-egg omelet. Eating a high protein breakfast will keep you fuller longer reducing those mid-morning splurges.
4. Forgo the extra cocktail for a glass of sparkling water. With the holiday season comes holiday parties. Alcohol is full of empty calories and can be a major contributor to winter weight gain. Skip one cocktail and replace it with a glass of sparkling water. Toss in a slice of lemon or lime for flavor.
5. Swap holiday desserts for fresh fruit parfait. Cookies, cakes and pies OH MY! It is easy to be tempted by all the delicious desserts during the holiday season. Pass on the calorie loaded dessert and choose a healthier sweet treat with fresh whole fruit as the base.
November is National Healthy Skin Month. We thought this would be a great opportunity to remind our readers of some helpful spa tips.
1. Don’t forget your sunscreen! Even in the winter you should be putting on the sunscreen if you outside for more than 15 mins. Hands down non-nano zinc oxide is the safest and most effective active sunscreen ingredient. It is stable: It does not break down when exposed to the sun. And that means it works longer and harder than most other active ingredients. It provides Broad Spectrum Protection: Across the widest range of the UV spectrum.
2. Dryness can increase during the winter months due to indoor heating and low humidity. Generous application of moisturizer and body lotion can help retain moisture in the skin’s upper layer. We recommend day and night moisturizer for hydrating, and weekly exfoliation for renewing skin cells
3. Get a facial monthly. Through exfoliation, deep-cleaning of the pores, stimulating improved circulation, and use of professional-strength products, your esthetician can make a lot of progress towards improving your skin. What goes on your skin ultimately penetrates your skin and goes into your body. The right ingredients can do a world of good and the wrong ones quite the opposite.
4. Be sure to see your dermatologist for any suspicious moles or birthmarks.
5. Healthy skin reflects a healthy body. A balanced nutrition program that is high in antioxidant vitamins, boosted by the right nutritional supplements, will ensure that the skin’s underlying needs are met and promote a healthy, attractive appearance at any age.
** Tip information acquired from Marie Veronique, Mayo Clinic, Spaspace and lef.org
A couple of weeks ago we had the honor of hosting Molly Sims and her closest family and friends at the Bathhouse for mani/pedis and massages. We are so honored to be part of such an intimate celebration. Please enjoy a few pictures from that day. Thank you to photographer Jenn Phillips for her amazing photographs.
Shhhhh. We are giving you a sneak peak at our new Fall Spa Solage specials. They will officially be released next week but we wanted to share them with our spa fanatics first allow you to experience them before everyone else! Prepare to be pampered.
Orange Peel and Cardamom Body Polish
Skin nourishing shea and cocoa butters combined with orange peel and the rich spice of cardamom create a body polish that envelopes the essence of fall. A nurturing massage with our handmade massage oil blend of clove and orange warms the senses and completes this autumn experience at Spa Solage. 80 minute – $190
Organic Passion Fruit and Pumpkin Skin Renewal Facial
Replenish your skin from summer sun exposure with our organic hydrating facial. Perfect facial for lightening and revitalizing all skin types using green tea, aloe vera, passion fruit and pumpkin.
50 or 80 minutes – 80 minutes includes special eye, lip and foot treatment. Elixir at conclusion. 50 minute – $135 80 minute – $190
Environmental accountability is integral to the Solage spirit. As a result, we’re one of the first Napa Valley resorts to put in place a wide range of programs to promote and enhance an eco-friendly ethos. One of our initiatives involves giving back to the community through our Spa Solage donation program. This year alone Spa Solage has donated over 63 bags of gently used spa linens to 9 different charitable organizations around the valley. Any easy way to do this at home is to include towels, bed linens and even robes in your next donation run. Going Green and Giving Back!
We are excited to unveil our new spa treatment the NuFACE Skin Fit Facial. This revolutionary advanced firming facial provides an intense lift, tones and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Coined as “Pilates for the face” this treatment is a must for achieving immediate visible anti-aging results. This gentle low microcurrent enhances product penetration up to 47%, providing the skin with maximum hydration. In addtion to the microcurrent lift our 80 minute facial includes a deep cleanse, Vitamin-C peel, customized mask, décolleté treatment, foot scrub and massage, and an eye and lip treatment. The new technology has been featured on such national stages as the Today Show, Rachel Ray, The Doctors, Marie Clare, ELLE, Women’s Health, Shape and many more. We believe firmly in this new treatment and the stunning results that it offers. To learn more contact Spa Solage directly.